Sunday, February 19, 2012

finally fish!

I know what you are thinking right now.... FINALLY! Lol, probably not, but I am kinda relieved to finally get these recipes to you. They are so good.

Let me start out by saying I am not a big fish fan, well I wasn't anyways. Not because of the fishy taste, but mostly because of tape worm. Side note: I can not watch tv shows about almost anything like bugs, infestations, or diseases without getting paranoid about it. It's kinda like that new diagnosis where people look up symptoms online and think they have the worst thing possible. That's me, except with tv shows. 

Anywho's, I watched a show about tape worm and how people get tape worm from fish. It's not common and mostly from fresh fish that is not cooked properly. So lets just say, while we were in Alaska, my plate of fish was dissected before it went anywhere near my mouth ( I don't even know if you can see a tape worm). 

While in Alaska, we had the most amazing tasting fish possible. It was so good that we want to go back just to eat fish. So when we got back to Iowa I added fish to the menu. I chose Tialpia... I heard that it was the easiest and less fishy-tasting fish to cook. 

These are three recipes that have been a hit. Bon Appetite! 

Grilled Tilapia Po-Boys  (I use broiler)

What you will need:
Tilapia fillets
olive oil for brushing
1/4 tsp. salt, preferable kosher salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1-2 loaves french bread
beefsteak tomatoe
romain lettuce
tar-tar sauce

-Preheat broiler (high/top broiler), line baking sheet with foil
-brush fillets with oil, season with salt and pepper- both sides
-cut bread, I dig a little bread out of the middle so the fish stays on the sandwich. They are slippery little
        suckers. Toast bread by putting it under the broiler for a little bit.
-Broil fish until done, turning once with 3 minutes on each side. It will be white and opaque in the 
        middle.
-Prepare sandwiches! (I make homemade tar-tar sauce. 1/2 cup Mayo, 2 tb. sweet relish,  1 1/2 tsp. 
        lemon juice, 1/4 tsp garlic powder. Mix together.)




Fried Tilapia

What you will need:
Tilapia
oil, I use olive
2 eggs
1-2 cups flour
3 tbs. any seasoning, I use a smoked hickory

-Preheat non-stick pan on medium high heat, not high. Do not add oil.
-combine flour and seasoning in one flat container and stir eggs in another
-clean tilapia with water
-dip into eggs then flour seasoning, shake off extra flour
-dip back into eggs then back into flour seasoning. 
-add oil to hot pan. You know when oil is ready when it sizzle just a little when adding fish. I drop
      some flour into the oil to see if it sizzle before hand.
-fry on each side for 3 minutes.



Asian Tilapia  Picture with this one! 

Sorry for the not so great photo. I forgot to take pics of my plate before eating it.


What you will need:
tilapia
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbs. sugar
3 large cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbs lemon juice, can you lime too.
1/4 tsp. ginger powder
1/4 tsp. chili powder

-preheat high/top broiler
- combine everything except fillets in large baking dish. Fish need to be laid in a single layer
-add fish- coat it all in sauce
-marinade for 20 minutes
-broil for 10 minutes or so
-if juices in pan appear to burn- add water in that spot. 




These recipes are so easy to do with little ones running around because there is hardly any prep, and fish take very little time to cook. They are so good and I hope you enjoy them! My freezing food adventures are coming up soon! :) 


            



No comments:

Post a Comment