Thursday, February 9, 2012

cookie bars = obsession


I love to bake. I know, it's kinda opposite of my love for working out but I think I started working out so I could eat what I bake.

Recently, I have started baking a lot more. Anything. Everything. Yummy!

But cookies are kinda a long process with kids around. I don't have time to get up every 8 minutes to take cookies out, put more cookies in and entertain my son who thinks its lunch time, EVERY time we walk into the kitchen.

So I have become obsessed with making cookie bars instead. So easy. So good! I came up with an amazing choco-chip cookie bar recipe... but that's not what I'm going to share today.

Today is a sugar cookie bar recipe that I found and added my own touch for v-day and our fun party tomorrow.


For the cookie bars:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking soda



-Mix the butter and sugar until fluffy
-add the eggs one at a time
-Mix in the vanilla
-Combine the flour, salt and soda and add to wet ingredients. Mix just until blended, do not over mix. 
-grease a 13x18 inch baking sheet and spread the dough onto the sheet. It will be like cookie dough, sticky.
-375 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.


Once done, and cooled, I took a cookie cutter and cut out heart shapes.

 It was actually very easy and A LOT quicker than sugar cookies. 

Then frost. mmm...mmm... I used a basic butter cream frosting. 
For the frosting:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1/4 cup. milk
Food coloring (optional, I made it pink)

 With the left over chunks I made a truffle-ish thing. I also used the left over choco cake chunks that i froze from the kids birthday partay. Ignore the christmas mnm's, they were 50 cents onsale after christmas so instead of choco-chips i have been using those!  

Tomorrow is a little party a life-group lady decided to throw for the kiddos. Those heart sugar cookie bars are the v-day gift. I'm excited, should be fun!

Happy valentines day everyone. Please remember, God's love is what counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment