Friday, November 16, 2012

Parmesan Tomato Basil Soup

I'm not a soup person and neither is my husband. We both would rather have something chewable and hearty. I know, weird, but it's true.

This soup, however, was so delicious even my husband said it one of the better meals that I make. THAT is saying something because it's meatless. Jason is a meat guy. What guy isn't? Well, the vegetarian men, obviously, but Jason is a truly a meat guy. If it doesn't have meat, it's written off before he tries it.

I haven't changed his mind on the no-meat meals, but he likes this one enough to add to the recipe box! YES! I am always looking for meatless meals to save money, and eat a little healthier.

This soup is a really, really delicious soup. Add to the list that it is a crock pot soup! DOUBLE BONUS!

Here is the recipe I followed, but I changed it up a little bit: Parmesan Tomato Basil Soup

Here is my recipe I changed for our family. It was still so very good.

1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes, with juice
1 baggie of frozen tomatoes I had frozen
1 cup finely diced celery
1 cup finely diced carrots
1 cup finely diced onions
1 tsp dried oregano 
1 T dried basil 
4 cups chicken broth
1 tsp dry bay leaves
½ cup flour
1 cup Parmesan cheese
½ cup butter
1 1/2 cups of warmed evaporated milk***** the biggest change. It saves a lot of calories and fat.
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper


DIRECTIONS

1. Add tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, oregano, basil, and bay leaf to a large slow cooker.

2. Cover and cook on LOW for 5-7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.

3. About 30 minutes before serving prepare a roux. Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add flour. Stir constantly with a whisk for 3 minutes. Slowly add the roux to the crock pot stirring constantly. Stir and add the Parmesan cheese, warmed evap milk, salt and pepper. Add additional basil and oregano if needed (the slow cooker does a number on spices and they get bland over time, so don't be afraid to always season to taste at the end). 

4. Cover and cook on LOW for another 30 minutes or so until ready to serve.

ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment